Let’s get ready for that special time of year when Girl Scouts of all ages celebrate and show the world what it means to be a G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, and Leader). March 11 – 17 is Girl Scout week!
Starting with Girl Scout Sunday and ending with Girl Scout Sabbath, this week is an awesome opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a G.I.R.L. and all the wonderful things girls do to make the world a better place. In celebration of this special Girl Scout tradition, we’ve put together a list of recommended activities that will make your week extra special.
Interested in a special patch or token to commemorate Girl Scout Week 2018? Visit our shop!
Sunday, March 11: Girl Scout Sunday
Saturday, March 17: Girl Scout Sabbath
Girl Scout Sunday and Girl Scout Sabbath give girls an opportunity to attend their place of worship and be recognized as Girl Scouts. If a place of worship is the troop sponsor, girls may consider performing a service, such as a greeting, ushering, or doing a flag ceremony. These days can also be a time when girls explore other faiths!
- Wear your Girl Scout uniform and take part in a service at your place of worship.
- Obtain your My Promise, My Faith Pin.
- Learn about a faith tradition that you are not familiar with.
- Volunteer to assist with teaching or watching the younger children in your place of worship.
- Volunteer to lead a prayer or song in your place of worship.
- Find a quiet, peaceful place to think about all of the things you are grateful for.
Monday, March 12: Celebrate the Girl Scout Birthday!
On this day in 1912, Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low assembled a group of eighteen girls from Savannah, Georgia for the first ever Girl Scout meeting. Low believed that all girls should have the opportunity to develop physically, mentally, and spiritually. She organized service projects, outdoor adventures, and enrichment programs to get girls out of the house and into the community.
- We're 106 years old today! Host your own Girl Scout Birthday Party to celebrate.
- Think about what Girl Scouts means to you and write a letter rededicating yourself to Girl Scouts.
- Learn more about Girl Scout history and our founder, Juliette Gordon Low.
- Memorize the Girl Scout Law and recite it to your family.
- Spend time working on a Girl Scout badge or Journey today.
- Share the Girl Scout love and invite a new friend to join your Girl Scout troop.
Tuesday, March 13: Be a Go-Getter and Take Action!
- How can you improve your neighborhood? Create your own small service project.
- Think about people in your community that might not have homes. How can you help people who are experiencing homelessness? Consider serving food or donating clothes and hygiene products to a local shelter.
- Give back to your troop's meeting location with a clean-up or beautification project.
- Volunteer at a local family shelter.
- Organize a food drive or collect nonperishable food items from friends and family members to donate to the local food bank.
- Volunteer to read books or play games with children at a local library or community center.
Wednesday, March 14: Be an Innovator and Explore STEM!
- Create a fun project through Made with Code.
- Girl Scout Innovation badges encourage problem solving using scientific methods from fields like anthropology, engineering, graphic design, and business. Check out your Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting and pick out a badge activity to do today.
- Research energy saving tips and educate your friends and family about ways to conserve energy.
- Turn your kitchen into a laboratory with a food science activity! Check out the Brownie Home Scientist badge for inspiration.
- Use your resources wisely with an upcycling project. Create something new out of recycled materials.
Thursday, March 15: Be a Smart Risk-Taker and Step Outside of Your Comfort Zone!
- Get outside today! Play games, go geocaching, go on a hike, or have another outdoor adventure for at least 30 minutes.
- Explore Girl Scout Destinations – the ultimate adventure for girls ages 11 and older. With different trips every year, there’s something amazing for everyone. Check out GSSN’s upcoming International Destination, Belize: Land and Sea or discover other trips happening around the world.
- Check out all the awesome 2018 summer camp sessions and pick your favorite.
Friday, March 16: Be a Leader and Show People That You Care!
- Help your family today by doing a chore that helps take care of your home.
- Do you have a brother or sister? Do something nice for your siblings today!
- Commit two random acts of kindness.
- Make a special gift for a friend.
- Write a note or letter to a friend to let her know that you appreciate her.